I made holes along my drawn oval (the bits of blue you can see on the edge is the marker I used which is water soluble so will wash away eventually but can still be seen a bit) and then used a crochet and the same green thread to attach the border into the holes I made with my machine. I then folded the extra fabric on the back. The decorative pink stitch keeps the folded edge in place. I used a variegated Sulky which I thought would go well with the colours of the flowers. But a plain, bold pink or green (or yellow or orange for that matter!) would have looked good too.
I found a pretty fabric that has a subtle cream on cream motif through it.
When I last made this edging, it was from another book and the flowers were larger: there were 2 ds between each picot as opposed to just one as here. And the "stalks" were longer (I shortened them here by choice). Both ways look nice.
Here's one last photo on a dark background.
I think it really brings out the brightness of the flowers.